Saturday, September 11, 2010

So I bought a Macbook Pro!

After years of staying away from Macs I finally gave in and got myself a Macbook pro. My philosophy is that whatever I would want to do in a Mac I can do in a Linux machine (which is my primary choice of OS). For the most part it is true, except that Iphone SDK + xCode does not install in a Linux machine. I want to get into iPhone app development badly!

Macs are expensive, there is no denying that. They are well built and prior to the OSX becoming available, I thought of them as appliances that my grandma might use to check her emails. Simply put, macs are built for simplicity. I necessarily do not look for simplicity when I am using a computer, I like to challenge myself with difficulty that a Linux machine makes you go through. So the high price and the maturity of recent Linux distros (Ubuntu for example) I stuck to my DIY pcs and old dell for my computing.

I got the mac from micro center as I looked for the best deal. After agreeing to buy the mac, the store manager showed up with a smiling face and greeted me, as if I am royalty! With a broad smile he was like, thanks for buying a mac and we want to make sure you enjoy it fully; out came a business card.

I enjoy using the Mac primarily for it's elegant look and the overall build quality. There is something special about holding a solid piece of aluminum holding your computing machinery! It has a premium feel to it that I can compare with the feeling I had when I drove my Audi!

Overall I am happy with it and it's hard to get back to using a different keyboard after using the Mac. It makes my old dell feel completely worthless!

So will I buy a mac again sure, but not in next 3-4 yrs! Oh btw, I forgot to mention, I do think at 1.1k 13.3" macbook pro is totally worth the money. The 15"+ plus are still outrageously priced...

No comments:

Post a Comment