Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Say movie buff!

So my hobby recently took a turn towards setting up a home theater! It's quite interesting as I live in an apartment. Fortunately the rooms are large and are perfect for setting up large screen viewing.

I went into my usual buying spree and ended up buying 4 projectors - three HD projectors of various brand and one LED SVGA projector. I also ended up buying 4 sets of surround speakers and 4 receivers. I also ended up buying 2 bluray players and an upconverting DVD player supporting DIVX, XVID etc. The end result is two large screen setup that I like to call HT. One in the living room and one in the bedroom.

I like the end result though it may not be what you will see at an elegant celebrity home theater. The experience of watching HD movie in 120+ inch screen makes me want to re-watch movies that I enjoyed before. I am however finding that I am quickly going through the bluray collection Netflix and Blockbuster offer!

Some may argue that HT lacks the experience of going to a movie. Recently I found this post in the AVS forum that I thought was hilarious.

I am quoting Cryofax from one of this thread:

"If you've got an HTPC you can simulate the theatre experience. On mine I have a 15 minute pre-movie "slide-show" I cobbled together myself using trivia slides off a movie slide supply website, and in between I post funny pictures found off "comedy" websites. People love it. Then my home theatre intro, then a couple of the latest previews (downloaded off the net), and to the movie... Not to mention IR turns down the lights at the proper moment etc etc.

I even leave the theatre in the middle of the movie, go upstairs and call down to my wife's cel phone just to simulate a real theatre. Then I come back and sit behind one of my guests and kick his seat for a while, throw popcorn in his/her hair, and finally pinch my 2-year old so she'll cry throughout the film. Ahhh the movies...

- Cryo"


Now that's real funny! That's all for this morning. Time to go to work ....

No comments:

Post a Comment